Assessment of carcinogenic health risk for population living in monocities and rural settelements
V.M. Boev, D.A. Kryazhev, L.M. Tulina, A.A. Neplokhov
Orenburg State Medical University, 6 Sovetskaya Str., Orenburg, 460000, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to perform assessment of carcinogenic health risk for population living in monocities and rural settlements in Orenburg region including both total and individual carcinogenic risk assessment. We assessed carcinogenic health risks for population living in cities with industrial enterprises as economic bases (Novotroitsk and Mednogorsk) and rural settlements (Oktyabrskiy, Ilekskiy, and Tyul'ganskiy districts) in Orenburg region. Exposure assessment was based on the data obtained via laboratory research of environmental objects over 2005–2013 (1,265 atmospheric air samples and 1,897 drinking water samples). We determined total carcinogenic risks for population on each territory under multi-environment impacts exerted by chemicals; a share of each chemical in risk formation was also identified. The results we obtained allow us to make a conclusion that monocities' areas are unfavorable in terms of carcinogenic effects on population health. We detected priority carcinogens for each territory in order to work out practical recommendations on lowering carcinogenic risks and on possibility of delayed effects evolvement. Carcinogenic risk caused by chemicals contained in drinking water both in monocities and rural settlements was considered to be acceptable; however, it was 1.5-2 times higher for monocities population. Overall, chromium took the leading role among carcinogens in monocities air; benzene and arsenic occupied the same place in rural settlements air. Chromium, benzpyrene, and arsenic were priority carcinogens contained in drinking water in rural settlements. Our research proves the necessity to work our practical recommendations on lowering carcinogenic risks and on possibility of delayed effects evolvement on regional level.
- Byctpykh V.V. Gigienicheskaya otsenka vliyaniya pit'evoi vody na zdorov'e [Hygienic assessment of influence exerted on health by drinking water]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 1998, no. 6, pp. 20–22 (in Russian).
- Bystrykh V.V., Tin'kov A.N.. Makshantsev S.S., Salikhova L.R. Voprosy otsenki ekologicheskogo riska dlya naseleniya [Issues of assessing ecological risk for population]. Zashchitaokruzhayushcheisredy v neftegazovomkomplekse, 2004, no. 8, pp. 67 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V. Regional'nyi opyt ucheta pokazatelei riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya v zadachakh prostranstvennogo planirovaniya [Regional experience in accounting parameters of population health risk in spatial planning tasks]. Ars Administrandi, 2011, no. 2, pp. 30–39 (in Russian).
- Novikov S.M., Fokin M.V., Unguryanu T.N. Aktual'nye voprosy metodologii i razvitiya dokazatel'noi otsenki riska zdorov'yu naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv [Actual problem of methodology and development of evidence-based health risk assessment associated with chemical exposure]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no 8, pp. 711–716 (in Russian).
- O sostoyanii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya v Orenburgskoi oblasti v 2015 godu: Gosudarstvennyi doklad [On sanitary-epidemiologic well-being of the population in Orenburg region in 2015: State report]. Orenburg, Upravlenie Federal'noi sluzhby po nadzoru v sfere zashchity prav potrebitelei i blagopoluchiya cheloveka po Orenburgskoi oblasti Publ., 2016, 263 p. (in Russian).
- Obzor sostoyaniya i zagryazneniya okruzhayushchei sredy v Rossiiskoi Federatsii za 2012 god. [Review on the state and contamination of the environment in the Russian Federation over 2012]. Moscow, Federal'naya sluzhba po gidrometeorologii i monitoringu okruzhayushchei sredy Publ., 2013, 178 p. (in Russian).
- Anan'ev V.Yu., Kaisarova N.A., Kiku P.F., Izmailova O.A., Trunova I.E. Otsenka riska vozdeistviya na naselenie khimicheskikh kontaminantov v pishchevykh produktakh i pit'evoi vode [Estimation of risk of influence on the population chemical substances in foodstuff and potable water]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2011, no. 8, pp. 30–34 (in Russian).
- Avaliani S.L., Bezpal'ko L.E., Bobkova A.L., Mishina A.L. Perspektivnye napravleniya razvitiya metodologii analiza riska v Rossii [The perspective directions of development of methodology of the analysis of risk in Russia]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2013, no. 1, pp. 33–35 (in Russian).
- Avaliani S.L., Novikov S.M., Shashina T.A., Dodina N.S., Kislitsin V.A., Mishina A.L. Problemy sovershenstvovaniya sistemy upravleniya kachestvom okruzhayushchei sredy na osnove analiza riska zdorov'yu naseleniya [The urgent problems of the improvement of the environment management system based on the analysis of health risk assessment]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 5–8 (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po ocenke riska dlja zdorov'ja naselenija pri vozdejstvii himicheskih veshhestv, zagrjaznjajushhih okruzhajushhuju sredu R 22.214.171.1240-04 [Guide to health risk assessment when exposed to chemicals polluting the environment 126.96.36.1990-04]. Moscow, Federal'nyj centr Gossanjepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii publ., 2004, 143 p. (in Russian).
- Setko A.G., Ochneva G.I., Setko I.M. Faktory, formiruyushchie zdorov'e detskogo naseleniya, prozhivayushchego na urbanizirovannykh territoriyakh, i otsenka riska ikh vozdeistviya [Factors which form health of children population living in urbanized territories and assessment of risks caused by their impacts]. Vestnik Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2005, no. S5, pp. 104–106.
- Surzhikov V.D., Surzhikov D.V. Otsenka i upravlenie riskom dlya zdorov'ya ot mnogokomponentnogo zagryazneniya okruzhayushchei sredy krupnogo tsentra metallurgii [Assessment and management of human risk due multicomponent environmental pollution in a large metallurgy center]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2006, no. 5, pp. 32–35 (in Russian).
- Frolova O.A., Karpova M.V. Otsenka riska razvitiya kantserogennykh i nekantserogennykh effektov pri upotreblenii produktov pitaniya [Risk assessment of carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic effects in the use of food]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, no. 5, pp. 107–108 (in Russian).
- Environment and health in the WHO European Region: progress, challenges and lessons learned: working document: Regional Committee for Europe 65th session. World Health Organization, Vilnius, 2015, 15 p.
- Progress report on the European Environment and Health Process: working document: Regional Committee for Europe 66th session. World Health Organization, Copenhagen, 2016, 16 p.