Analyzing and developing criteria for assessing occupational traumatism risks basing on «best practice code»
Kurgan State University, 25 Gogolya Str., Kurgan, 640669, Russian Federation
A system of managing occupational risks is now being implemented in the Russian Federation; it implies developing mechanisms of their assessment. The article presents an assessment procedure for assessing occupational traumatism risks as a part of methodology for complex occupational risks assessment. Occupational traumatism risk assessment is based on such criteria as predicted traumatism frequency caused by priority risk factors for examined groups (discrete criteria of traumatism risks) and frequency diagram depending on consequences of injuries caused by priority risk factors. They are integral criteria of traumatism risks (known as F–N curves). «Best practice code» means traumatism risks levels which exist now in countries with high occupational safety.
Our research objects were cases and circumstances of traumatism occurring among such an occupational group as «drivers and operators of mobile equipment». We detected that increased risks levels occurred due to a limited number of factors from each group of variables and it, in general, corresponded to Pareto principle. We obtained a dependence of y = c×e–bх type (F–N curve analogue), which described correlation between relative frequency of injuries and gravity of damage caused by them as a median of temporary disability of workers from the examined occupational group (R² > 0,9). The obtained equations for approximating curve can be criterial in assessing injuring circumstances significance and risk levels for workers from relevant occupational groups in industry and agriculture in the Russian Federation.
Assessment results and assessing priority risks and factors causing them give a possibility to make decisions related to developing strategies, programs, techniques, and activities aimed at raising workers' safety in the examined occupational group.
- Lomov O.P., Akhmetzyanov I.M., Greben'kov S.V., Levashov S.P., Terent'ev L.P. Gigienicheskie normativy. Fizicheskie faktory okruzhayushchei i proizvodstvennoi sredy: Kollektivnaya monografiya [Hygienic standards. Physical factors of the environment and occupational environment: Collective monograph]. In: O.P. Lomov ed. St. Petersburg, Professional Publ., 2013, 796 p. (in Russian).
- Menedzhment riska. Analiz riska tekhnologicheskikh sistem: Gosudarstvennyi standart Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Risk management. Risk analysis of technological systems: The RF State Standard 51901.1-2002.]. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200030153 (22.03.2016) (in Russian).
- Menedzhment riska. Reestr riska. Rukovodstvo po otsenke riska opasnykh sobytii dlya vklyucheniya v reestr riska [Risk management. Risk register. Guide on assessment of hazards risk for inclusion in risk register: The RF National Standard 51901.23-2012]. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200100076 (22.03.2016) (in Russian).
- Artem'ev V.B., Kilin A.B., Shapovalenko G.N., Osharov A.V., Radionov S.N., Kravchuk I.L. Kontseptsiya operezhayushchego kontrolya kak sredstva sushchestvennogo snizhe-niya travmatizma [Predictive control concept as a mean of substantial traumatism lowering]. Ugol', 2013, no. 5, pp. 82–85 (in Russian).
- Levashov S.P. Manilo I.I. Otsenka riskov professional'nogo travmatizma [Occupational traumatism risk assessment]. Chelovek i trud, 2013, no. 11–12, pp. 62–70 (in Russian).
- Levashov S.P., Shkrabak V.S. Professional'nyi risk: metodologiya monitoring i analiza [Occupational risk: Monitoring and analysis methodology]. In: V.S. Shkrabak ed. Kurgan, Izdatel'stvo Kurganskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta Publ., 2015, 308 p. (in Russian).
- Lisovskii V.V., Grishin V.Yu., Kravchuk I.L., Galkin A.V. Ob operativnom upravlenii riskami travmirovaniya personala: uderzhanie opasnoi proizvodstvennoi situatsii na priemlemom urovne riska [On operative managing risks of workers' traumatism: keeping a dangerous production situation at an acceptable risk level]. Ugol', 2013, no. 11, pp. 46–52 (in Russian).
- Obshcherossiiskii klassifikator zanyatii [Russian Classification of Occupations 010-2014 (MSKZ-08)]. Available at: URL: http: //docs.cntd.ru/document/1200121893 (24.04.2016) (in Russian).
- Pustovit A.E., Kozlov V.I. Prognozirovanie travmatizma sredi shakhterov posredstvom analiza riskov travmirovaniya [Miners traumatism forecasting by means of injury risk analysis]. Sibbezopasnost'-Spassib, 2013, no. 1, pp. 234–238 (in Russian).
- Sevast'yanov B.V., Shadrin R.O. Prognozirovanie riskov travmirovaniya rabotayushchikh v munitsipal'nykh obrazovaniyakh Udmurtskoi respubliki [Prediction of injury risks to workers employed in municipalities of the Udmurt Republic]. Problemy prognozirovaniya, 2012, no. 1, pp. 152–157 (in Russian).
- Selivanov L.K. Otsenka riska travmirovaniya v Rossiiskoi Federatsii i federal'nykh okrugakh [Assessment of the risk of injury in the Russian Federation and federal districts]. Aktual'nye problemy aviatsii i kosmonavtiki, 2016, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 975–977 (in Russian).
- Suvorov S.B. Strukturirovanie riskov travmirovaniya na rabochikh mestakh [Structuring risks of traumatizing at working places]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Gornyi zhurnal, 2007, no. 5, pp. 42–44 (in Russian).
- Susoeva I.V., Bukalov G.K., Repin V.M. Metod otsenki riska travmirovaniya s uchetom ushcherba na tekstil'nom predpriyatii [The Method of Estimation of Traumatizing Risks Taking into Account Damages at Textile Enterprises]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Tekhnologiya tekstil'noi promyshlennosti, 2012, vol. 338, no. 2, pp. 137–141 (in Russian).
- Feyer A., Williamson A.W. A Classification System for Causes of Occupational Accidents for Use In Preventive Strategies. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 1997, vol. 17, pp. 302–311.
- Jovanović D., Bašić S., Mitrović J. Injury risk to young car drivers in traffic on territory of Republic of Serbia. Transport Problems, 2010, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 21–30.
- Leigh J.P., Du J., McCurdy S. A. An estimate of the U.S. government’s undercount of nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses in agriculture. Annals of Epidemiology, 2014, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 254–259.
- Mitropoulos P., Namboodiri M. New method for measuring the safety risk of construction activities: task demand assessment. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 2011, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 30–38.
- Mosher G.A., Keren N. Analysis of safety decision-making data using event tree analysis. The Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering: Conference Proceedings Papers, 2011, pp. 137–142.
- Occupational Injury and Illness Classification System. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/wisards/oiics/Trees/MultiTree.aspx?Year=2012 (12.02.2016).
- Schaufler D.H., Yoder A.M., Murphy D.J., Schwab C.V., Dehart A.F. Safety and health in on-farm biomass production and processing. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health, 2014, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 283–299.