Methodological approaches and practices for assessing consumers' health risks caused by durable goods (on the example of construction and finishing materials)
I.V. May1, N.V. Nikiforova1, V.A. Khoroshavin2
1 Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2 Center for Hygiene and Epidemiology in Perm region, 50 Kuibyisheva Str., Perm, 614000, Russian Federation
The article deals with an issue related to risk assessment as a criterion of durable consumer goods safety for population health; construction materials and finishing materials are a very relevant example of such goods. We showed that legislative and methodological grounds for assessing such risks were not sufficient. So we developed approaches to risk assessment on the basis of evolution models which allowed to examine risks growth under chronic exposure. We revealed that even if certain goods con-formed to sanitary standards set forth by technical regulations they could still cause unacceptable health risks for consumers. And the risks tended to grow dramatically when several goods with similar or identical hazardous effects were consumed together.
We performed epidemiologic and profound medical-biological examinations and obtained authentic mathematical de-pendencies of correlation between exposure and consumer health disorders; these models are adequate to the data taken from relevant scientific literature. We tested methodological approaches to application of the detected "dose - effect" dependencies for evolution modeling. These approaches were tried out in real-life situations when certain construction and finishing materials were used in precast frame low-rise housing construction. We proved that long living in houses which were built with the use of 7–8 and more polymer-containing materials formed unacceptable risks for citizens' health after 10-12 years. The results we obtained helped to justify a decision that people should moved houses as it was unacceptable to live in them any longer; it was also considered inadvisable to use newly-built and still uninhabited houses of the studied lines for constant living.
Basically, these methodical approaches can be applied in assessing risks caused by a wide range of durable consumer goods.
- Aloev V.Z., Zhirikova Z.M., Tarchokova M.A. Issledovanie gazoobraznykh produktov destruktsii polimernykh materialov v usloviyakh dlitel'nogo teplovogo stareniya. NovaInfo.Ru, 2016, vol. 2, no. 55, pp. 12–18 (in Russian).
- Arnautov O.V. O sovershenstvovanii mekhanizmov ustanovleniya i izmeneniya pokazatelei kachestva i bezopasnosti pishchevoi produktsii v normativnykh i pravovykh aktakh Evraziiskogo Ekonomicheskogo Soyuza [On improvement of the mechanism for establishing and changing indicators of quality and food safety in the regulatory and legal acts of the Eurasian Economical Union]. Voprosy pitaniya, 2016, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 110–116 (in Russian).
- Elovskaya L.T., Prokopenko L.V. Garmonizatsiya otechestvennogo i zarubezhnogo sanitarnogo zakonodatel'stva po probleme promyshlennykh aerozolei [Harmonization of national and foreign sanitary laws on industrial aerosols]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2014, no. 2, pp. 1–5 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Lebedeva-Nesevrya N.A Podkhody k postroeniyu effektivnoi regional'noi sistemy informirovaniya o riskakh zdorov'yu [Methodological approaches to building of regional system of health risks information]. Zdorov'e sem'i - 21 vek, 2010, no. 4, pp. 8 (in Russian).
- Zibarev P.V., Zubkova T.P. Ekologicheskaya bezopasnost' polimernykh stroitel'nykh materialov [Ecological safety of polymer construction materials]. Ekologiya promyshlennogo proizvodstva, 2007, no. 2, pp. 27–33 (in Russian).
- Braubach M., Heroux M.E., Korol N., Paunovic E., Zastenskaya I. Znachenie zhilishchnykh uslovii i gorodskoi sredy dlya zdorov'ya [The value of housing conditions and urban environment for the health]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 9–15 (in Russian).
- Kamaltdinov M.R., Kiryanov D.A. Primenenie rekurrentnykh sootnoshenii dlya otsenki integral'nogo riska zdorov'yu naseleniya [The application of recurrent relations for integrated health risk assessment]. Zdorov'e sem'i - 21 vek, 2011, no. 3, pp. 6 (in Russian).
- Kiselev A.V., Mel'tser A.V. Informirovanie o riske – metodologicheskie aspekty obespecheniya sanepidblagopoluchiya naseleniya [Risk communication: Methodological aspects of sanitary and epidemiological welfare of population]. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2014, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 6–9 (in Russian).
- Maevskaya S.V., Presnikov O.N. Issledovanie faktorov, vliyayushchikh na vybor materialov pri stroitel'stve derevyannogo doma [Examination of factors which influence the choice of materials applied in con-structing a wood house]. Molodoi uchenyi: vyzovy i perspektivy: Sbornik statei po materialam VI mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [A young scientist: challenges and prospects: Collected articles and materials of the VI international theoretical and practical conference]. Moscow, Internauka Publ., 2016, pp. 144–152 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Shur P.Z., May I.V., Kiryanov D.A. Metodicheskie podkhody k otsenke integral'nogo riska zdorov'yu naseleniya na osnove evolyutsionnykh matematicheskikh modelei [Approaches to the assessment of integrated health risk population based on evolution of mathematical models]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2011, no. 10, pp. 6–9 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Shur P.Z., Kiryanov D.A., Kamaltdinov M.R., Tsinker M.Yu. Metodicheskie podkhody k otsenke populyatsionnogo riska zdorov'yu na osnove evolyutsionnykh modelei [Methodical approaches for health population risk estimation based evolution models]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2013, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 4–6 (in Russian).
- Metodologiya otsenki riskov zdorov'yu naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh, fizicheskikh i biologicheskikh faktorov dlya opredeleniya pokazatelei bezopasnosti produktsii (tovarov) [Methodology for assessing population health risks occurring under exposure to chemical, physical, and biological factors for determining products safety parameters]. Moscow, Yumanite-media, 2014, 120 p. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Tutel'yan V.A., Shur P.Z., Khotimchenko S.A., Sheveleva S.A. Opyt obosnovaniya gigienicheskikh normativov bezopasnosti pishchevykh produktov s ispol'zovaniem kriteriev riska zdorov'yu naseleniya [Experience of justification of hygienic standards of food safety with the use of criteria for the risk for population health]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 70–74 (in Russian).
- Avaliani S.L., Novikov S.M., Shashina T.A., Skvortsova N.S., Mishina A.L. Problemy garmonizatsii normativov atmosfernykh zagryaznenii i puti ikh resheniya [Problems and ways of solutions to harmonize stan-dards for air pollution]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, no. 5, pp. 75–78 (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po ocenke riska dlja zdorov'ja naselenija pri vozdejstvii himicheskih veshhestv, zagrjaznjajushhih okruzhajushhuju sredu R 22.214.171.1240-04 [Guide to health risk assessment when exposed to chemicals polluting the environment 126.96.36.1990-04]. Moscow, Federal'nyj centr Gossanjepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii publ., 2004, 143 p. (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Sinitsyna O.O. Sostoyanie i aktualizatsiya zadach po sovershenstvovaniyu nauchno-metodologicheskikh i normativno-pravovykh osnov v oblasti ekologii cheloveka i gigieny okruzhayushchei sredy [Status and actualization of tasks to improve the scientific-methodological and regulatory frameworks in the field of human ecology and environmental hygiene]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2013, no. 5, pp. 4–10.
- Yartsev V.P., Erofeev A.V. Issledovanie raboty dekorativnykh plit v real'nykh usloviyakh ekspluatatsii [Study of Work of Decorative Plates under Operation Conditions]. Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitel'stvo, 2015, no. 1, pp. 24–27 (in Russian).
- Norrback D., Wieslander G., Nordstrom K., Walinder R. Asthma symptoms in relation to measured building dampness in upper concrete floor construction and 2-ethyl-l-hexanol in indoor air. Int J. Tuberc. Lung. Dis, 2000, no. 4, pp. 1016–1025.
- Global burden of disease 2004 update: disability weights for diseases and conditions. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2008, 9 p.
- Our cities, our health, our future. Acting on social determinants for health equity in urban areas. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2008, 199 p.
- Jarnstrom H., Saarela К., Pasanen A.-L., Kalliokoski P. Reference values for structure emissions measured on site in new residential buildings in Finland. Atmos Environ, 2007, vol. 41, pp. 2290–2302.
- Tuomainen A., Seuri M., Sieppi A. Indoor air quality and health problems associated with damp floor coverings. Int Arch. Occup. Environ. Health, 2004, vol. 77, pp. 222–226.
- Wilke O., Jann O., Brodner D. VOC- and SVOC-emissions from adhesives, floor coverings and complete floor structures. Indoor Air. 2004, vol.14, no. 8, pp. 98–107.
- Yu C, Crump D. A review of the emission of VOCs from polymeric materials used in buildings. Build Environ, 1998, no. 33, pp. 357–374.