Influence exerted by redox-active metals on oxidative stress evidence in an experiment
L.A. Chesnokova, I.V. Mikhailova, S.I. Krasikov, V.M. Boev
Orenburg State Medical University, 6 Sovetskaya Str., Orenburg, 460000, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to study influence exerted by Fe2+ and Cr6+ cations on oxidative stress signs during an experiment on Wistar rats. We detected that when these metals were introduced into animals it caused free radical oxidation activation which became apparent through changes in chemiluminescense intensity in blood serum, in increased malonic dialdehyde and diene conjugants concentrations in blood serum and tissues (liver and pancreas), and in depression of antioxidant enzymes of superoxide dismutase and catalase erythrocytes. We showed that Fe2+ introduction with drinking water in a dose equal to maximum permissible concentration (MPC) could cause moderate activation of free radical oxidation as iron was a key element in active particles generation in biological media, including superoxide-anion-radical and most reactive hydroxyl radical. As we studied possible influence exerted by another redox-active metal, namely Cr6+, in concentration equal to 1 MPC we also detected enhanced free radical processes in blood serum which became more intense as exposure duration grew. Luminescence sum representing total antioxidant blood serum activity was almost 2.5 times higher as per two experimental periods when Cr6+ was introduced in comparison with intact animals. Processes activation under chromium cations effects is determined by its direct influence on free-radical mechanisms. Cr6+ ions recover to Cr3+in biological media; one-electron recovery process with intermediates forming at intermediate oxidation levels involves occurrence of active oxygen forms; it results in free radical processes enhancement.
- Boev V.M. Mikroelementy i dokazatel'naya meditsina [Trace elements and evidence-based medicine]. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 2005, 208 p. (in Russian).
- Vladimirov Yu.A. Svobodnye radikaly v biologicheskikh sistemakh [Free radicals in biological systems]. Sorosovskii obrazovatel'nyi zhurnal, 2000, vol.6, no. 12, pp. 13–19 (in Russian).
- Vladimirov Yu.A., Archakov A.I. Peroksidnoe okislenie lipidov v biologicheskikh membranakh [Lipid peroxidation in biological membranes]. Moscow, Nauka, 1972, 252 p. (in Russian).
- Chesnokova L.A., Mikhailova I.V., Krasikov S.I., Lebedeva E.N., Voronkova I.P., Karmanova D.S. Vliyanie pestitsidov i kationov zheleza na pokazateli immunnoi sistemy i lipoperoksidatsiyu krys Vistar [Effects of pesticides and iron cations on immune system parameters and lipid peroxidation in Wistar rats]. Intellekt. Innovatsii. Investitsii, 2013, no.1, pp.152–155 (in Russian).
- Isidorov V.A. Vvedenie v khimicheskuyu ekotoksikologiyu [Introduction to chemical ecotoxicology]. St. Petersburg, Khimizdat Publ., 1999, 144 p.
- Men'shchikova E.B., Lankin V.Z., Zenkov N.K. [et al.]. Okislitel'nyi stress. Prooksidanty i antioksidanty [Oxidative stress. Pro-oxidants and antintioxidants]. Moscow, Slovo Publ., 2006, 556 p. (in Russian).
- Mikhailova I.V. Vliyanie khroma i benzola na immunnuyu sistemu i uroven' mikroelementov v biosredakh krys Vistar [Effect of chromium and benzene on the immune system and the level of trace elements in Wistar rats bioenvironments]. Informatsionnyi arkhiv, 2010, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 85–88 (in Russian).
- Sirota T.V. Novyi podkhod v issledovanii protsessa autookisleniya adrenalina i ispol'zovanie ego dlya izmereniya aktivnosti superoksiddismutazy [A new approach to the investigation of adrenaline autooxidation and its application for determination of superoxide dismutase activity]. Voprosy meditsinskoi khimii, 1999, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 263–272 (in Russian).
- Skal'nyi A.V., Esenin A.V. Monitoring i otsenka riska vozdeistviya svintsa na cheloveka i okruzhayushchuyu sredu s ispol'zovaniem biosubstratov cheloveka [Monitoring and assessing risks of impacts exerted by Pb on a man and environment with the use of human biological host materials]. Toksikologicheskii vestnik, 1997, no. 6, pp. 15–22 (in Russian).
- Fakhrutdinov R.R. Svobodnoradikal'noe okislenie v biologicheskom materiale i khemilyuminestsentnye metody issledovaniya v eksperimental'noi i klinicheskoi meditsine [Free radical oxidation in biological material and chemiluminescent methods in experimental research and clinical medicine]. Ufa, 2002, pp. 102–104 (in Rus-sian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Boev V.M., Aver'yanov V.N., Dunaev V.N. Khimicheskie i fizicheskie faktory urbanizirovannoi sredy obitaniya [The chemical and physical factors of the urban environment]. Orenburg, Yuzhnyi Ural Publ., 2004, 432 p. (in Russian).
- Khudolei V.V., Mizgirev I.V. Ekologicheski opasnye factory [Ecologically hazardous factors]. St. Petersburg, Publishing House Publ., 1996, 111 p. (in Russian).
- Yudina T.V., Gil'denskiol'd R.S., Egorova M.V. Opredelenie tyazhelykh metallov v volosakh [Determination of heavy metals in hair]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 1988, no.2, pp. 50–52 (in Russian).
- Andrews N.C. Disorders of Iron Metabolism. New England Journal of medicine, 1999, vol. 341, no. 26, pp. 1986–1995.
- Baker W.F.Jr. Iron deficiency in pregnancy, obstetrics, and gynecology. Hematol. Oncol. Clin. North. Am., 2000, vol.14, no. 5, pp. 1061–1077.
- Liochev S.J., Fridovich I. The Haber-Weiss cycle – 70 years later: an alternative view. Redox Rep, 2002, vol.7, pp. 55–57.
- Ohkawa H., Ohishi N., Vagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Analyt. Biochem, 1979, vol.95, no. 2, pp. 351–358.
- Placer Z. Lip. Peroxidation sisteme in biologischen material. Nahrung, 1968, vol. 12, pp. 679.
- Prousek J. Fenton chemistry in biology and medicine. Pure Appl. Chem, 2007, pp. 2325–2338.
- Standeven A.M., Wetterhahn K.E. Ascorbate is the principal reductant of chromium(VI) in rat lung ultrafiltrates and cytosols, and mediates chromium-DNA binding in vitro. Carcinogenesis, 1992, vol. 13, pp. 1319–1324.
- Valko M., Morris H., M.T.D. Cronin. Metals, toxicity, oxidative stress. Current Medicinal chemistry, 2005, vol. 12, no.10, pp. 1177–1180.
- Zuck H. Methods of enzymatic analysis. Ed by Bergmeger H., Pergamon Press, 1963, pp. 885–894.