Biological, epidemiological, sanitary-hygienic, medical and behavioral occupational health risk factors for stock-breeders, veterinaries and workers employed at meat-processing enterprises, contacting brucellar animals and infected meat
S.I. Ereniev1, O.V. Plotnikova1, V.G. Demchenko1, N.V. Rudakov1,2
1 Omsk State Medical University, 12 Lenina Str., Omsk, 644099, Russian Federation
2 Omsk Scientific Research Feral Herd Infections Institute, 7 Mira Str., Omsk, 644080, Russian Federation
We have studied sanitary-hygienic characteristics of working conditions, charts with results of sanitary-epidemiologic examination performed in a zoogenous nidus, outpatient clinic cards and questionnaires filled in by 202 patients living in Omsk region and suffering from occupational brucellosis. The disease usually prevails among stock-breeders, veterinaries and workers employed at meat-processing enterprises. Our goal was to detect risks of occupational, production-induced and general pathology evolvement. Working conditions which all the examined people had to work in corresponded to hazardous (3.3) or even dangerous (4) category as per occurrence of contacts with infectious agents and parasites (biological risk). Apart from biological factor, a number of workers were under complex exposure to ammonia concentrations (higher than MPC), noise higher than MPL, vibration, cooling microclimate, uncomfortable lighting environment, labor process hardness and intensity. There were several factors causing epidemiologic risks as well. Disinfectants were absent or their quantity was not sufficient; industrial and amenity rooms were not well-organized; there was no central hot water supply or shower rooms, separate rooms for meals, specialized implements for removing abortus and stillborn fetuses and afterbirths, correctly organized burial grounds, or first aid kits. Hygienic health risks were caused by insufficient cleaning agents supply, absence of centralized protecting clothing laundering, and insufficient provision with personal protection means. Occupational health risks resulted from absence of preliminary medical examinations in standard recruitment procedures, irregularity and low quality of periodical medical examinations. Our qualitative assessment of behavioral health risks revealed that a lot of workers tended to have irresponsible medical and hygienic behavior, there were disorders in their work and rest regime (shift work with shifts rotation), nutrition, sleeping and waking. We also found out that the examined workers didn't pursue self-preserving lifestyle as they drank alcohol, smoked, underestimated the importance of being vaccinated against brucellosis and of having medical examinations, and didn't apply for medical aid in due time. We detected the third type of risk-genous behavior, "high risk-genous level, passive" in 28.22 % of our respondents
- Borisov V.A. Sovremennoe sostoyanie problemy brutselleza [Contemporary state of brucellosis prob-lem]. Zhurnal infektsionnoi patologii, 2000, vol. 7, no. 1–2, pp. 57–59 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Rubtsov M.Yu. Cmennyi trud kak faktor kantserogennogo riska [Shift work as carcinogenic risk factor]. Mezhdunarodnyi nauchno-issledovatel'skii zhurnal, 2016, vol. 53, no. 11–3, pp. 134–137 (in Russian).
- O merakh po realizatsii polnomochii Edinoi gosudarstvennoi Federal'noi tsentralizovannoi sistemy gosudarstvennogo sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo nadzora v oblasti obespecheniya biologicheskoi i khimicheskoi bezopasnosti: postanovlenie glavnogo gosudarstvennogo sanitarnogo vracha Rossiiskoi Federatsii № 50 ot 04.08.09 g. [On activities aimed at implementation of authority by Integrated State Federal Centralized System of state sanitary-epidemiologic surveillance in the sphere of providing biological and chemical safety: resolution by the RF Chief State Sanitary Inspector No. 50 dated August 04, 09]. Available at: https://www.garant.ru/products/ipo/prime/doc/4089061/ (09.12.2016) (in Russian).
- Orakbai L.Zh., Cherepanova L.Yu., Denisova T.G. Sovremennye aspekty epidemicheskogo protsessa brutselleza [Contemporary aspects of brucellosis epidemic process]. Sovremennye aspekty nauki i obrazovaniya, 2015, no. 6. Available at: https://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=22737 (25.05.2017) (in Russian).
- Dobrokhotskii O.N., Mushchak I.P., Kirpichenkov A.B., Dyatlov I.A., Zar'kov K.A. Proektirovanie laboratorii – klyuchevoe zveno upravleniya bioriskami pri rabote s patogennymi biologicheskimi agentami [Designing of laboratories is crucial for the management of biorisks in the work with pathogenic biological agents]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 59–61 (in Russian).
- Profilaktika brutselleza: Sanitarnye normy i pravila 18.104.22.16813-10 [Prevention of brucellosis: sanitary standards and rules 22.214.171.12413-10]. utv. postanovleniem Glavnogo gosudarstvennogo sanitarnogo vracha RF ot 26.04.2010 № 39 [approved by resolution by the RF Chief State Sanitary Inspector dated April 26, 2010 No. 39]. Available at: http://89.rospotrebnadzor.ru/documents/ros/postanov/30197/ (09.12.2016) (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i trudovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassifikatsiya uslovii truda. R 2.2.2006-05. [Guide on Hygienic Assessment of Factors of Working Environment and Work Load. Criteria and Classification of Working Conditions]. Available at: http://www.kadrovik.ru/docs/rukovodstvo.2.2.2006-05.htm (12.12.2016) (in Russian).
- Rebrova O.Yu. Statisticheskii analiz meditsinskikh dannykh. Primenenie paketa prikladnykh programm STATISTICA [Statistic analysis of medical data. Use of STATISTICA applied software]. Moscow, Media Sfera Publ., 2002, 312 p. (in Russian).
- Ryazanova E.A., Lebedeva-Nesevrya N.A. Riskovoe povedenie rabotnikov v sfere zdorov'ya kak faktor poter' trudovogo potentsiala promyshlennogo predpriyatiya [Workers' health risk behavior as a factor of labour potential losses of industrial enterprises]. Aktual'nye problemy razvitiya chelovecheskogo potentsiala v sovremennom obshchestve. Institutsional'nye izmeneniya v Rossii i mire: Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi internet-konferentsii [Vital issues of human potential development in contemporary society. Institutional changes in Russia and worldwide: materials of the International theoretical and practical Internet-conference]. Perm', Permskii gosudarstvennyi natsional'nyi issledovatel'skii universitet Publ., 2015, pp. 13–16 (in Russian).
- Ereniev S.I., Demchenko V.G., Plotnikova O.V., Safonov A.D., Rudakov N.V. Gordienko, L.N., Ponomareva O.G., Tarkhov A.E. Sanitarno-gigienicheskie i kliniko-immunologicheskie aspekty professional'nogo brutselleza v sovremennykh usloviyakh [Sanitary-hygienic and clinical-immunologic aspects of occupational brucellosis in contemporary conditions]. In: V.G. Demchenko, A.D. Safonova, N.V. Rudakova, S.I. Erenieva eds. St-Peterburg: TESSA Publ., 2014, 220 p. (in Russian).
- Spirin V.F., Novikova T.A. Gigienicheskie aspekty upravleniya professional'nymi riskami u rabotnikov sel'skogo khozyaistva [Occupational risk control in rural workers: Hygienic aspects]. Zdravookhranenie Rossiiskoi Federatsii, 2008, no. 1, pp. 19–20 (in Russian).
- Shestopalov N.V. Sovershenstvovanie dezinfektsionnoi deyatel'nosti i profilaktika infektsionnykh boleznei cheloveka [Совершенствование дезинфекционной деятельности и профилактика инфекционных болезней человека]. Meditsinskii alfavit, 2013, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 5–7 (in Russian).
- Rudakov N.V., Yastrebov V.K., Yakimenko V.V., Rudakova S.A., Samoilenko I.E., Poleshchuk E.M. Epidemiologicheskaya otsenka territorii riska zarazheniya naseleniya prirodno-ochagovymi i zoonoznymi infektsiyami v prigranichnykh regionakh Sibiri [Epidemiological evaluation of contagion risk of the population natural focal and zoonotic infections in the frontier regions of Siberia]. Dal'nevostochnyi zhurnal infektsionnoi patologii, 2015, no. 27, pp. 17–19 (in Russian).
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Questionnaire. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/ques-tionnaires/pdf-ques/2014_brfss.pdf (09.12.2016).
- Boschiroli M., Foulongne V., O'Callaghan D. Brucellosis: a worldwide zoonosis. Curr. Opin. Microbiol, 2001, vol. 4, no. l, pp. 58–64.
- Bricker B.J. PCR as a diagnostic tool for brucellosis. Vet. Microbiol, 2002, vol. 90, no. 1–4, pp. 435–446.
- Almuneef M.A., Memish Z.A., Balkhy H.H., Alotaibi B. [et al]. Importance of screening household members of acute brucellosis cases in endemic areas. Epidemiol. Infect, 2004, vol. 132, pp. 533–540.
- Mantur B.G., Amarnath S.K., Shinde R.S. Review of clinical and laboratory features of human Brucellosis. Indian J. of Medical Microbiology, 2007, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 188–202.
- Chowdhury P.P., Mawokomatanda T., Xu F. [et al.]. Surveillance for Certain Health Behaviors, Chronic Diseases аnd Conditions, Access to health Care, and Use to Preventive Health Services Among States and Selected Local Areas – Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, United States, 2012. MMWR Surveil. Sum, 2016, vol. 65, no. SS-4, pp. 1–142.
- Zheludkov M.M., Tsirelson I.E., Kulakov Y.K. Human brucellosis in Russia. Mater. Intern. Confer. Brucellosis, London, 2008, pp 125.