Numerical modeling of acidity distribution in antroduodenum aimed at identifying anomalous zones at consuming drinks with different pH level
M.R. Kamaltdinov, N.V. Zaitseva, P.Z. Shur
Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventing Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russia
The article focuses on describing mathematical model of a multi-phase flow in antroduodenum and its application for predicting digestive process features, including pH level detection. The suggested sub-model representing antroduodenal area of gastrointestinal tract is being developed within the frameworks of mathematical multilevel model depicting evolution of damage to critical organs and systems under exposure to risk factors. We introduced damages as per three functions (motor, secretory and absorbing one) to several gastrointestinal tract zones (body of stomach, antrum, and duodenum) and to pancreas and liver, into the sub-model. Mathematical problem statement includes records of mass and impulse conservation equations for mixture of liquid incompressible phases; ratios for mass flow intensity vector due to diffusion processes; ratios for mass sources due to reactions, secretion and components absorption, food dissolution, initial and terminal conditions.
We obtained numeric experiment results when drinks with various pH level (2.3; 3.5; 7) were consumed; they revealed that anomalous considerable increase in acidity occurred in pyloric opening zone and duodenal cap zone when a drink with pH level equal to 2.3 was consumed. The results presented in this work make a considerable contribution into mathematical modeling development used to describe multiphase flows in biological channels with variable form. We showed that obtained acidity levels in various antroduodenum zones correspond to experimental data given in the works of other researchers. In future the model can be applied to predict risks of duodenum damages evolvement together with detecting areas of their localization under exposure to negative factors.
- Avramenko A.A., Gozhenko A.I., Goidyk V.S. K voprosu o lokalizatsii i chislennosti yazvennykh defek-tov, kotorye obrazuyutsya u bol'nykh khronicheskim khelikobakteriozom i pri eksperimental'nom modelirovanii na krysakh [On importance from localization and quantity of ulcer defects which form on patients suffering from chronic helicobacteriosis and because of experimentally models on the rats]. Aktual'nye problemy transportnoi meditsiny, 2008, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 124–127 (in Russian).
- Trusov P.V., Zaitseva N.V., Kir'yanov D.A., Kamaltdinov M.R., Tsinker M.Yu., Chigvintsev V.M., Lanin D.V. Matematicheskaya model' evolyutsii funktsional'nykh narushenii v organizme cheloveka s uchetom vneshnesredovykh faktorov [A Mathematical Model for Evolution of Human Functional Disorders Influenced by Environment Factors]. Matematicheskaya biologiya i bioinformatika, 2012, no. 2, pp. 589–610 (in Russian).
- Osadchii V.A., Bukanova T.Yu. Kliniko-morfologicheskie i patogeneticheskie osobennosti erozivno-yazvennykh porazhenii gastroduodenal'noi zony u bol'nykh s razlichnoi tyazhest'yu khronicheskoi serdechnoi nedostatochnosti, assotsiirovannoi s ishemicheskoi bolezn'yu serdtsa [Clinical-morphological and pathogenetic peculiarities of erosive-ulcerous damages to gastroduodenal zone in patients suffering from chronic cardiac insuffi-ciency with various gravity associated with ischemic heart disease]. Zhurnal serdechnaya nedostatochnost', 2014, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 374–381. DOI: 10.18087/rhfj.2014.6.2004 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Novikov S.M., Rakhmanin Yu.A., Avaliani S.L., Bushtueva K.A. Osnovy otsenki riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagryaznyayushchikh okruzhayushchuyu sredu: monografiya [Basics of population health risk assessment under exposure to chemicals which pollute environment: monograph]. In: Yu.A. Rakhmanin, G.G. Onishchenko eds. Moscow, NII ECh and GOS Publ., 2002, 408 p. (in Russian).
- Trusov P.V., Zaitseva N.V., Kamaltdinov M.R. Modelirovanie pishchevaritel'nykh protsessov s uchetom funktsional'nykh narushenii v organizme cheloveka: kontseptual'naya i matematicheskaya postanovki, struktura modeli [Digestive process modeling allowing for functional disorders in a human body: conceptual and mathematic statement, structure of a model]. Rossiiskii zhurnal biomekhaniki, 2013, no. 4, pp. 67–83 (in Russian).
- Tsinker M.Yu. Trekhmernoe modelirovanie dykhatel'noi sistemy cheloveka dlya zadach otsenki riskov zdorov'yu pri ingalyatsionnoi ekspozitsii khimicheskikh veshchestv [Three-dimensional modeling of human respi-ratory system for tasks of health risk assessment in the exposure to the chemicals inhalation]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 90–93 (in Russian).
- Kou W., Bhalla A.P.S., Griffith B.E., Pandolfino J.E., Kahrilas P.J., Patankar N.A. A fully resolved active musculo-mechanical model for esophageal transport. Journal of Computational Physics, 2015, vol. 298, pp. 446–465.
- Zaitseva N.V., Kiryanov D.A., Lanin D.V., Chigvintsev V.M. A mathematical model of the immune and neuroendocrine systems mutual regulation under the technogenic chemical factors impact. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 2014, vol. 2014, pp. 492489. DOI: 10.1155/2014/492489.
- Guo J. J., Pandey S., John D., Bian B., Lis Y., Raisch D.W. A review of quantitative risk–beneﬁt metho-dologies for assessing drug safety and efﬁcacy report of the ISPOR risk–beneﬁt management working group. Inter-national Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, 2010, vol. 13, pp. 567–666.
- Ehlen L.A., Marshall T.A., Qian F., Wefel J.S., Warren J.J. Acidic beverages increase the risk of in vitro tooth erosion. Nutr Res, 2008, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 299–303.
- Emde C., Garner A., Blum A.L. Technical aspects of intraluminal pH-metry in man: current status and recommendations. Gut, 1987, vol. 28, pp. 1177–1188.
- Haruma K., Mihara M., Okamoto E., Kusunoki H., Hananoki M., Tanaka S., Yoshihara M., Sumii K., Kajiyama G. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori increases gastric acidity in patients with atrophic gastritis of the corpus-evaluation of 24-h pH monitoring. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 1999, vol. 13, pp. 155–162.
- Wang Y.L., Chang C.C., Chi C.W., Chang H.H., Chiang Y.C., Chuang Y.C., Chang H.H., Huang G.F., Liao Y.S., Lin C.P. Erosive potential of soft drinks on human enamel: an in vitro study. J Formos Med Assoc, 2014, vol. 113, no.11, pp. 850–856.
- Ferrua M.J., Singh R.P. Computational modelling of gastric digestion: current challenges and future di-rections. Current Opinion in Food Science, 2015, vol. 4, pp. 116–123.
- Ferrua M.J., Xue Z., Singh R.P. On the kinematics and efficiency of advective mixing during gastric di-gestion – A numerical analysis. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014, vol. 47, pp. 3664–3673.
- Lim Y.F., de Loubens C., Love R.J., Lentle R.G., Janssen P.W.M. Flow and mixing by small intestine villi. Food and Function, 2015, vol. 6, pp. 1787–1795.
- Fullard L.A., Lammers W.J., Ferrua M.J. Advective mixing due to longitudinal and segmental contrac-tions in the ileum of the rabbit. Journal of Food Engineering, 2015, vol. 160, pp. 1–10.
- Hao S., Wang B., Wang Y. Density-dependent gastroretentive microparticles motion in human gastric emptying studied using computer simulation. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015, vol. 70, pp. 72–81.
- Sinnott M., Cleary P.W., Arkwright J.W., Dinning P.G. Investigating the relationships between peristaltic contraction and fluid transport in the human colon using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics. Computers in Biol-ogy and Medicine, 2012, vol. 42, no.4, pp. 492–503.
- Lam S.K. Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of duodenal ulcer. Clinics in Gastroenterology, 1984, vol. 13, no.2, pp. 447–472.
- McCloy R.F., Greenberg G.R., Baron J.H. Duodenal pH in health and duodenal ulcer disease: effect of a meal, Coca-Cola, smoking, and cimetidine. Gut, 1984, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 386–392.
- Shay H. Etiology and pathology of gastric and duodenal ulcer/ Н. Shay, D.C.H. Sun. In: Bockus H.L. Gastroenterology. Philadelphia–London, 1968, vol. 1, pp. 420–465.
- Kapicioğlu S., Baki A., Tekelioğlu Y., Arslan M., Sari M., Ovali E. The inhibiting effect of cola on gastric mucosal cell cycle proliferation in humans. Scand. J. Gastroenterol, 1998, vol. 33, no.7, pp. 701–703.
- Reddy A., Norris D.F., Momeni S.S., Waldo B., Ruby J.D. The pH of beverages in the United States. J. Am. Dent. Assoc, 2016, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 255–263.
- Toklu E. A new mathematical model of peristaltic flow on esophageal bolus transport. Scientific re-search and essays, 2011, vol. 6, pp. 6606–6614.
- Trusov P.V., Zaitseva N. V., Kamaltdinov M.R. A multiphase flow in the antroduodenal portion of the gastrointestinal tract: a mathematical model. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 2016, vol. 2016, pp. 5164029.