Chemical factors of soil polution in Taganrog as population health risk factors
G.T. Aydinov1,2, B.I. Marchenko1,3, L.A. Deryabkina1, Yu.A. Sinelnikova1
1 Center of Hygiene and Epidemiology in the Rostov region, 67 7-th Line Str., Rostov-on-Don, 344019, Russian Federation
2 Rostov State Medical University, 29 Nakhichevanskiy pereulok, Rostov-on-Don, 344022, Russian Federation
3 Southern Federal University, 105/42 Bolshaya Sadovaya Str., Rostov-on-Don, 344006, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to perform a hygienic assessment of soil pollution with chemicals on areas aimed for housing and recreation zones in Taganrog, Rostov region. Due to the fact that surface layer of city soils is an open dynamic system which is tightly connected to atmosphere and hydrosphere we treated pollutants content in soils as indicators of territory anthropogenic transformation and technogenic load on population. We used atomic-adsorption spectrophotometry to detect heavy metals and highly efficient liquid chromatography to detect 3,4-benzpyrene content. The results comprise 660 examined soil samples taken from 19 monitoring points; they were examined to detect 7 pollutants content (lead, zinc, copper, nickel, cadmium, chromium, and mercury) over 2008–2015; 144 samples were examined to detect 3,4-benzpyrene content over 2013–2015. We determined that priority pollutants among detected metals were zinc and lead; their content in city soils amounted up to 5.91 and 1.95 maximum permissible concentration. Complex indicator of city soils contamination varied from 1.61 to 2.02, long-term average annual value being 1.83. 3,4-benzpyrene was confirmed to be a substantial risk factor for population health as its concentrations exceeded maximum allowable values in 65.28 % of examined soil samples at average and maximum concentrations (2.45 and 38.05 MPC correspondingly). We recommend to include this chemical into systematic environmental quality monitoring. We detected regional peculiarities of soil pollution with chemicals on city territories aimed for housing, territories of pre-school children facilities, and recreation zones.
- Kurchanov V.I., Lim T.E., Voetskii I.A., Golovin S.A. Aktual'nost' otsenki mnogosredovogo kantserogennogo riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya ot vozdeistviya khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagryaznyayushchikh okruzhayushchuyu sredu [The relevance of assessment of multicompartment carcinogenic risk to health from exposure to chemicals that pollute the environment]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, vol. 268, no. 7, pp. 8–12 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Popova A.Yu., Alekseev V.B. [et al]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu v strategii gosudarstvennogo sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya: monografiya [Health risk analysis in the strategy of state social and economic development: monograph]. In: G.G. Onishchenko, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Moscow, Perm', Izd-vo Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta Publ., 2014,783 p. (in Russian).
- Butenko G.S., Polonskaya D.E. Soderzhanie 3,4-benz (a) pirena v pochvakh tekhnogenno zagryaznen-nykh territorii [3.4-benz (a) pyrene availability in the tehnogenically polluted territory soils]. Vestnik Krasnoyar-skogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta. – 2012. – № 7. – S. 86–90 (in Russian).
- Gorobtsova O.N., Nazarenko O.G., Minkina T.M. Soderzhanie 3,4-benz (a) pirena v rastitel'nosti, raspo-lozhennoi v zone vliyaniya Novocherkasskoi GRES [The content of 3,4-benzo (a) pyrene in vegetation located in the zone of influence of the Novocherkassk Thermal Power]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Severo-Kavkazskii region. Seriya: Estestvennye nauki, 2006, no. 3, pp. 63–66 (in Russian).
- Kislitsyna L.V. Gigienicheskaya otsenka soderzhaniya kontaminantov v produktakh pitaniya po dannym sotsial'no-gigienicheskogo monitoringa [Hygienic assessment of the content of contaminants in food products according to socio-hygienic monitoring]. Zdorov'e. Meditsinskaya ekologiya. Nauka, 2013, vol. 52, no. 2–3, pp. 49–53 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., May I.V., Shur P.Z. Metody i tekhnologii analiza riska zdorov'yu v sisteme gosudarstvennogo upravleniya pri obespechenii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya [Me-thods and technologies of health risk analysis in the system of state management under assurance of the sanita-tion and epidemiological welfare of population]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 93–98 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G. Aktual'nye zadachi gigienicheskoi nauki i praktiki v sokhranenii zdorov'ya naseleniya [Actual problems of hygiene science and practice in the preservation of Public health]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 5–9 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G. Khimicheskaya bezopasnost' – vazhneishaya sostavlyayushchaya sanitarno-epide-mio¬logicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya [Chemical safety is the most important constituent of the sanitary and epidemiological well-being of population]. Toksikologicheskii vestnik, 2014, no. 1, pp. 2–6 (in Russian).
- Avaliani S.L., Bezpal'ko L.E., Bobkova T.E., Mishina A.L. Perspektivnye napravleniya razvitiya metodo-logii analiza riska v Rossii [The perspective directions of development of methodology of the analysis of risk in Russia]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2013, no. 1, pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Gabov D.N., Beznosikov V.A., Kondratenok B.M., Yakovleva E.V. Politsiklicheskie aromaticheskie ug-levodorody v pochvakh tekhnogennykh landshaftov [Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the soils of tech-nogenic landscapes]. Geokhimiya, 2010, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 606–617 (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu. Strategicheskie prioritety Rossiiskoi Federatsii v oblasti ekologii s pozitsii sokhraneniya zdorov'ya natsii [Strategic priorities of the Russian Federation in the field of ecology from the position of preserva-tion of health of the nation]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2014, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 4–7 (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Malysheva A.G. Kontseptsiya razvitiya gosudarstvennoi sistemy khimiko-analiticheskogo monitoringa okruzhayushchei sredy [The concept of the development of the state of chemical-analytical environmental monitoring]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2013, no. 6, pp. 4–9 (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Mikhailova R.I. Okruzhayushchaya sreda i zdorov'e: prioritety profilakticheskoi me-ditsiny [Environment and Health: Priorities for Preventive Medicine]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 5–10 (in Russian).
- Unguryanu T.N. Mnogosredovyi kantserogennyi risk dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya promyshlennogo goroda [Multiple environmental population health risk for cancer in industrial town]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2011, no. 6, pp. 77–80 (in Russian).
- Fetter V.V. Otsenka riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya khimicheskoi kontaminatsii produktov pitaniya i prodovol'stvennogo syr'ya [Human health risk assessment of the chemical contamination of food products and raw foods]. Health Risk Analysis, 2013, no. 4, pp. 54–63. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2013.4.07.eng.
- Frolova O.A., Karpova M.V. Otsenka riska razvitiya kantserogennykh i nekantserogennykh effektov pri upotreblenii produktov pitaniya [Risk assessment of carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic effects in the use of food]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, no. 5, pp. 107–108 (in Russian).
- Food safety risk analysis – A guide for national food safety authorities. FAO food and nutrition paper. Rome, 2006, vol. 87, 50 p. Available at: www.fao.org/docrep/012/a0822e/a0822e.pdf (22.09.2016)
- Muthumbi W., De Boever P., Pieters J.G., Siciliano S., D"Hoogec W., Verstraete W. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) and Estrogenic Compounds in Experimental Flue Gas Streams. Journal of Environmental Quality, 2013, vol. 32, pp. 417–422.
- Fismes J., Perrin-Ganier C., Empereur-Bissonnet P., Morel J.L. Soil-to-Root Transfer and Translocation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons by Vegetables Grown on Industrial Contaminated Soils. Journal of Environ-mental Quality, 2002, vol. 31, pp. 1649–1656.