Assessing occupational carcinogenic risks for health of workers employed at blister copper production enterprise
V.I. Adrianovskiy1,2, G.Ya. Lipatov1,2, E.A. Kuz’mina1, N.V. Zlygosteva1,2, K.Yu. Russkikh1, N.P. Sharipova2, T.V. Bushueva1, V.O. Ruzakov3
1 Yekaterinburg Medical Scientific Center for Prevention and Health Protection for workers employed at industrial enterprises, 30 Popova Str., Yekaterinburg, 620014, Russian Federation
2 Ural State Medical University, 3 Repina Str., Yekaterinburg, 62002, Russia Federation
3 Administration of the Federal Supervision Service for Consumer’s Rishts Profection and Human Welfare in the Sverdlovsk Region, 3 Otdelnyi pereulok, 620078, Russian Federation
In order to develop ideological grounds for complex assessment of industrial carcinogenic danger, we performed hygienic assessment of contribution made by working environment factors into carcinogenic risks formation for workers employed at blister copper production. The assessment included predictive values of occupational risks. We determined tumor markers levels for occupations with unacceptable levels of carcinogenic risks. We examined mortality caused by malignant neoplasms. It is shown that non-organic arsenic compounds applied in blister copper production are the main factor causing carcinogenic risks. As we calculated individual carcinogenic risks for 25-year working period we found out that total carcinogenic risks for all basic and supplementary occupations in copper-smelting workshops were within the 4th range (more than 1.0 х 10 -3 ). Unacceptable predictive values of carcinogenic risks for 100 % examined occupations appeared already after 5 years of work. We detected excess levels of tumor markers in 73 % of examined workers with occupations characterized with unacceptable values of carcinogenic risks; 19 % of such workers had excess levels of two tumor markers at once. 9 % of examined workers had excess levels of Cyfra 21.1 tumor marker, 14,5 % of workers had high levels of СЕА tumor marker, and 59 % of workers had high levels of NSE tumor marker. Intensive mortality indices for male workers employed at copper-smelting workshops as per all localizations amounted to 153.14, whereas they amounted to only 127.25 per 100,000 people for other population groups. Workers employed at blister copper production had higher intensive mortality indices than other people in terms of such nosologies as malignant neoplasms in respiratory organs and chest (86.78 and 47.72 correspondingly), including lung cancer (71.47 and 43.48 correspondingly. The obtained results will help to work out a system for managing carcinogenic risks which will include regulating and controlling activities, managerial activities, technical and technological measures, financial and economic activities, medical and prevention activities plus rehabilitation activities, as well as information and educational activities.
- Adrianovskii V.I., Lipatov G.Ya. Ispol'zovanie otsenki professional'nogo kantserogennogo riska dlya rabochikh, zanyatykh v obogashchenii med'soderzhashchikh rud [Use of estimates of professional carcinogenic risk to workers employed in the enrichment of copper containing ores]. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2013, no. 10, pp. 46–49 (in Russian).
- Adrianovskii V.I., Lipatov G.Ya., Lestev M.P. Gigienicheskaya kharakteristika vozdukha rabochei zony v sovremennom proizvodstve chernovoi medi [Hygienic characteristics of occupational air in the modern copper blister production]. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya, 2012, no. 7, pp. 16–20 (in Russian).
- Lipatov G.Ya., Adrianovskii V.I. Vybrosy vrednykh veshchestv ot metallurgicheskikh korpusov medepla-vil'nykh zavodov [Hygienic estimation of harmful substances emissions from metallurgical units of copper plants]. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2013, no. 8, pp. 41–43 (in Russian).
- Lipatov G.Ya., Adrianovskii V.I., Gogoleva O.I. Khimicheskie faktory professional'nogo riska u rabo-chikh osnovnykh professii v metallurgii medi i nikelya [Chemical air pollution of the occupational environment as a factor for professional risk for workers of main occupations in the copper and nickel metallurgy]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, no. 2, pp. 64–67 (in Russian).
- Mel'tser A.V., Kiselev A.V. Gigienicheskoe obosnovanie kombinirovannykh modelei otsenki profession-al'nogo riska [Hygienic basis for combined models assessing occupational risks]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2009, no. 4, pp. 1–5 (in Russian).
- Metodicheskie ukazaniya po retrospektivnomu izucheniyu smertnosti ot zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovanii v svyazi s vozmozhnym deistviem proizvodstvennykh faktorov [Methodical guidelines on retrospective study of mortality caused by malignant neoplasms in relation to influence possibly exerted by production factors]. Sverdlovsk, NII gigieny truda i profzabolevanii Publ., 1980, 23 p.
- Gribova Yu.V., Bushueva T.V., Roslaya N.A., Silant'eva E.A., A.K. Labzova, Shmonina O.G., Otsenka prediktorov i markerov zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovanii legkikh u rabotnikov metallurgicheskogo predpriyatiya [Assessment of the predictors and markers of malignant tumors inthe lungs of metallurgical plant workers]. Vestnik ural'skoi meditsinskoi akademicheskoi nauki, 2015, no. 2, pp. 32–36 (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po ocenke riska dlja zdorov'ja naselenija pri vozdejstvii himicheskih veshhestv, zagrjaznjajushhih okruzhajushhuju sredu R 220.127.116.110-04 [Guide to health risk assessment when exposed to chemicals polluting the environment R 18.104.22.1680-04 P]. Moscow: Federal'nyj centr Gossanjepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii, 2004, 143 p. (in Russian).
- Gurvich V.B., Kuz'min S.V., Vlasov I.A., Kuz'mina E.A., Lipatov G.Ya., Plotko E.G., Ruzakov V.O., Adrianovskii V.I., Kochneva N.I., Putilov I.L. Rezul'taty i metodologicheskie aspekty otsenki kantserogennoi opas-nosti sub"ektov khozyaistvennoi deyatel'nosti na primere Sverdlovskoi oblasti [results and methodological aspects of the carcinogenic risk assessment for economic agents through the example of the Sverdlovsk region]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2013, no. 4, pp. 6–8 (in Russian).
- Adrianovskii V.I., Lipatov G.Ya., Zebzeeva N.V., Kuz'mina E.A. Rezul'taty izucheniya pylevogo faktora v pirometallurgii medi [Results of dust factor in copper pyrometallurgy]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, no. 4, pp. 347–350 (in Russian).
- Kuz'min S.V., Privalova L.I., Kornilkov A.S., Kuz'mina E.A., Yarushin S.V., Plotko E.G. Rezul'taty mno-gosredovoi otsenki riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya v promyshlenno razvitykh gorodakh Sverdlovskoi oblasti [The results of the multimedia health risk assessment in industrially developed cities of the Sverdlovsk region]. Ural'skii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2012, no. 10, pp. 12–14 (in Russian).
- Gurvich V.B., Kuz'min S.V., Lipatov G.Ya., Adrianovskii V.I., Zebzeeva N.V., Beresneva O.Yu., Bushu-eva T.V., Ruzakov V.O. Rezul'taty otsenki kantserogennoi opasnosti s poetapnoi realizatsiei kompleksa sanitarno-gigienicheskikh i mediko-profilakticheskikh meropriyatii [The results of the evaluation of carcinogenic hazard with a phased implementation of a set of sanitary and medical preventive measuresin the context of copper smelting enterprises]. Vestnik ural'skoi meditsinskoi akademicheskoi nauki, 2015, no. 2, pp. 43–46 (in Russian).
- Zebzeeva N.V., Lipatov G.Ya., Kuz'mina E.A., Russkikh K.Yu. Rezul'taty sravnitel'noi otsenki kantsero-gennykh riskov u rabotayushchikh pri raznykh sposobakh polucheniya chernovoi medi [The results of the comparative evaluation of carcinogenic risks in workers employed in different ways of producing blister copper]. Vestnik ural'skoi meditsinskoi akademicheskoi nauki, 2015, no. 2, pp. 50–52 (in Russian).
- Serebryakov P.V. Ispol'zovanie otsenki kantserogennogo riska na gornorudnykh i metallurgicheskikh predpriyatiyakh Zapolyar'ya [Using the evaluation of carcinogenic risk in the mining and metallurgical enterprises of the Arctic]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, no. 5, pp. 95–98 (in Russian).
- Serebryakov P.V. Podkhody k optimizatsii ekspertizy professional'nykh zlokachestvennykh novoobrazo-vanii [Approaches to optimization of the occupational cancersexamination process]. Vestnik ural'skoi meditsin-skoi akademicheskoi nauki, 2015, no. 2, pp. 80–83 (in Russian).
- Strategiya razvitiya meditsinskoi nauki v rossiiskoi federatsii na period do 2025 goda [Development strat-egy for medical science in the Russian Federation for the period till 2025]. Available at: http://legalacts.ru/doc/rasporjazhenie-pravitelstva-rf-ot-28122012-n-258... (11.08.2016) (in Russian).
- Arsenic and arsenic compounds. IARC Monographs – 100C, 2012, pp. 41–93. Available at: http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol100C/mono100C-6.pdf (28.10.2016).
- Chapter 27 – Biological monitoring. ILO Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety, Part IV – Tools and Approaches. Available at: http://www.ilocis.org/documents/chpt27e.htm#JD_Ch27_3 (28.10.2016).
- Lauwerys R.R., Hoet P. Industrial Chemical Exposure: Guidelines for Biological Monitoring. CRC Press LLC, 2001, pp. 36–49.
- Karnak D., Beder. S., Kayacan O. et. al. Neuron-specific enolase and Lung cancer. Am. J. Clin. Oncol, 2005, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 586–590.