Risk-oriented approach application at planning and orginizing antiepidemic provision of mass events
D.V. Efremenko1, I.V. Kuznetsova1, V.G. Orobey2, А.А. Efremenkо3, V.M. Dubyanskiy1, E.A. Manin1, D.A. Prislegina1, O.V. Semenko1
1 Stavropol Plague Control Research Institute, 13–15 Sovetskaya Str., Stavropol, 355035, Russian Federation
2 Territory Administration of the Federal Supervision Service for Consumer's Rights Protection and Human Welfare in the Krasnodar Region at c.-r. Sochi, 27 Rose Str., Sochi, 354000, Russian Federation
3 Stavropol State Medical University, 310 Mira Str., Stavropol, 355017, Russian Federation
Mass events tend to become more and more dangerous for population health, as they cause various health risks, including infectious pathologies risks. Our research goal was to work out scientifically grounded approaches to assessing and managing epidemiologic risks as well as analyze their application practices implemented during preparation to the Olympics-2014, the Games themselves, as well as other mass events which took place in 2014–2016. We assessed epidemiologic complications risks with the use of diagnostic test-systems and applying a new technique which allowed for mass events peculiarities. The technique is based on infections ranking as per 3 potential danger categories in accordance with created criteria which represented quantitative and qualitative predictive parameters (predictors). Application of risk-oriented approach and multi-factor analysis allowed us to detect exact possible maximum requirements for providing sanitary-epidemiologic welfare in terms of each separate nosologic form. As we enhanced our laboratory base with test-systems to provide specific indication as per accomplished calculations, it enabled us, on one hand, to secure the required preparations, and, on the other hand, to avoid unnecessary expenditures. To facilitate decision-making process during the Olympics-2014 we used an innovative product, namely, a computer program based on geoinformation system (GIS). It helped us to simplify and to accelerate information exchange within the frameworks of intra- and interdepartmental interaction. "Dynamic epidemiologic threshold" was daily calculated for measles, chickenpox, acute enteric infections and acute respiratory viral infections of various etiology. And if it was exceeded or possibility of "epidemiologic spot" for one or several nosologies occurred, an automatic warning appeared in GIS.
Planning prevention activities regarding feral herd infections and zoogenous extremely dangerous infections which were endemic for Sochi was accomplished taking the completed assessment into account.
The positive experience obtained through risk-oriented organization of certain activities aimed at providing anti-epidemic safety of mass international events on the Russian Federation territory allows us to be optimistic about prospects of wider implementation of the approach described above and other similar approaches based on health risk analysis principles.
- Onishchenko G.G., Popova A.Yu., Kuz'kin B.P., Bragina I.V., Ezhlova E.B., Demina Yu.V. [et al.]. XXII Olimpiiskie zimnie igry i XI Paralimpiiskie zimnie igry 2014 goda v g. Sochi. Obespechenie sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya [XXII Winter Olympic Games and XI Winter Para-Olympic Games-2014 in Sochi. Sanitary and epidemiologic welfare provision]. In: akad. RAN G.G. Onishchenko, prof. A.N. Kulichenko eds. Tver', OOO «Izdatel'stvo «Triada» Publ., 2015, 576 p. (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Popova A.Yu., Smolenskii V.Yu., Maletskaya O.V., Taran T.V., Dubyanskii V.M., Semenko O.V., Agapitov D.S., Grizhebovskii G.M., Manin E.A., Klindukhov V.P., Orobei V.G., Antonenko A.D. Analiz zarubezhnogo opyta obespecheniya biologicheskoi bezopasnosti pri provedenii Olimpiiskikh igr [Analysis of foreign experience of maintenance of biological safety of the Olympic games]. Zhurnal mikrobiologii, epidemi-ologii i immunobiologii, 2015, no. 2, pp. 105–109 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Popova A.Yu., Alekseev V.B. [et al]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu v strategii gosudarstvennogo sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya: monografiya [Health risk analysis in the strategy of state social and economic development: monograph]. In: G.G. Onishchenko, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Moscow, Perm', Izd-vo Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta Publ., 2014,783 p. (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu., Kuz'kin B.P., Demina Yu.V., Dubyanskii V.M., Kulichenko A.N., Maletskaya O.V. [et al.]. Ispol'zovanie sovremennykh informatsionnykh tekhnologii v praktike sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo nadzora v period provedeniya XXII Olimpiiskikh zimnikh igr i XI Paralimpiiskikh zimnikh igr v g. Sochi [Using modern information technology in the practice of the sanitary-epidemiological surveillance during the xxii Olympic winter games and xi paralympic winter games in Sochi]. Zhurnal mikrobiologii, epidemiologii i immunobiologii, 2015, no. 2, pp. 113–118 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Kuz'kin B.P., Demina Yu.V., Kulichenko A.N., Maletskaya O.V., Efremenko D.V. [et al.]. Obespechenie gotovnosti i organizatsiya raboty SPEB FKUZ «Stavropol'skii protivochumnyi institut» Rospo-trebnadzora v period provedeniya XXII Olimpiiskikh zimnikh igr i XI Paralimpiiskikh zimnikh igr v Sochi [Provi-sion of the Preparedness and Management of Work of the Specialized Anti-Epidemic Team at the Premises of the Rospotrebnadzor Stavropol Anti-Plague Institute during the XXII Olympic and XI Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi]. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2015, no. 1, pp. 58–62 (in Russian).
- Kulichenko A.N., Efremenko D.V., Kuznetsova I.V., Zaitseva O.A. Obespechenie gotovnosti spetsializi-rovannykh protivoepidemicheskikh brigad k rabote pri provedenii massovykh meropriyatii [Operation prepared-ness of specialized anti-epidemic brigades during mass events]. Zhurnal epidemiologii, mikrobiologii i immunobi-ologii, 2014, no. 1, pp. 76–80 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Kulichenko A.N., Zaitseva O.A., Efremenko D.V. Opyt stran-organizatorov Olimpiad po obespecheniyu zashchity ot biologicheskoi ugrozy [Experience of Olympic host-countries in procuring protection from a biological threat]. Zhurnal mikrobiologii, epidemiologii i immunobiologii, 2014, no. 1, pp. 70–75 (in Russian).
- Orobei V.G. Mery profilaktiki chrezvychainykh situatsii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo kharaktera pri provedenii XXII Olimpiiskikh zimnikh igr i XI Paralimpiiskikh zimnikh igr v g. Sochi: avtoref. dis. … kand. med. Nauk [Measures at preventing sanitary and epidemiologic contingencies during XXII Winter Olympic Games and XI Winter Para-Olympic Games-2014 in Sochi: abstract of a thesis. … candidate of medical science]. Stavropol', 2016, 22 p. (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G., Novikov S.M., Rakhmanin Yu.A., Avaliani S.L., Bushtueva K.A. Osnovy otsenki riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagryaznyayushchikh okruzhayushchuyu sredu: monografiya [Basics of population health risk assessment under exposure to chemicals polluting environment: monograph]. In: Yu.A. Rakhmanin, G.G. Onishchenko eds. Moscow, NII ECh and GOS, 2002, 408 p. (in Russian).
- Kuz'kin B.P., Kulichenko A.N., Maletskaya O.V., Efremenko D.V., Manin E.A., Kotenev E.S. [et al.]. Rezul'taty raboty SPEB FKUZ «Stavropol'skii protivochumnyi institut» Rospotrebnadzora v period provedeniya XXII Olimpiiskikh zimnikh igr i XI Paralimpiiskikh zimnikh igr v Sochi [Performance of the SAET of the Stavropol Anti-Plague Institute of the Rospotrebnadzor during the XXII Olympic and XI Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi]. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2015, no. 2, pp. 17–21 (in Russian).
- Communicable diseases alert and response for mass gatherings: key consideration. Geneva, WHO, 2009, 130 p.
- Abubakar I., Gautret P., Brunette G.W., Blumberg L., Johnson D., Poumerol G., Memish Z.A., Barbeschi M., Khan A.S. Global perspectives for prevention of infectious diseases associated with mass gatherings. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 2012, no. 12, pp. 66–74.
- Moran-Gilad J., Chand M., Brown C., Shetty N. Microbiological aspects of public health planning and preparedness for the 2012 Olympic Games. Epidemiol Infect, 2012, vol. 140, no. 12, pp. 2142–2151.
- Brownstein J.S., Freifeld C.C., Reis B.Y., Mandl K.D. Surveillance Sans Frontières: Internet-based emerging infectious disease intelligence and the Health Map project. PLoS Med, 2008, no. 5, pp. 151.
- Wilson K., Brownstein J.S. Early detection of disease outbreaks using the Internet. CMAJ, 2009, vol. 180, pp. 829–831.