Hygienic assessment of risk factors for skin infections in athletes–wrestlers
N.Ch. Davletova, I.A. Zemlenukhin, D.S. Martykanova, S.M. Mugallimov, A.M. Akhatov
FSBEI HE “Volga Region State Academy of Physical Culture, Sports and Tourism”, 35 Universiade Village, Kazan, 420010, Russian Federation
Healthy male volunteers namely 91 wrestling athletes and 52 students, who are not engaged in sports, have participated in the study, based on the informed consent and the questionnaire. It was found out that among the fighters: the majority of respondents (55 %) at least once suffered from contagious skin diseases. For the hygienic assessment of the risk factors for skin infections of wrestlers the Wallace «rule of nines» was used, which helps to estimate the square of the body exposed areas (the parts of body which are not covered with sports equipment) in various kinds of wrestling. According to the results of the study of wrestling athletes it was determined that the risk of skin infections of this group of people is higher, especially of the wrestlers engaged in professional wrestling. The number of cases of skin infections among the wrestlers-respondents is 9.5 times higher (p<0.001) than among the students not involved in professional sports. The study helped to identify main risk factors for infectious skin diseases of wrestlers in training and competitive processes: direct factors including constant contact “skin to skin” of athletes during the contest; failure to comply with the requirements for body hygiene, clean sportswear and shoes, the presence of competitors with obvious signs of infectious disease at the competitions and training sessions and indirect factors including being in a constant stress state as a result of the frequent competitions, daily training sessions, etc. The article presents systematic informing of all participants of training and competitive processed on the existing risk of skin infections in athletes and the negative consequences of their implementation.
- Borisevich S.A. Funkcional'nye svojstva kozhi pri zanjatijah sportom: dis. … d-ra biol. nauk [Skin func-tional properties during sports: thesis … Dr. of Biol. Sciences]. Moscow, 2015, 313 p. (in Russian).
- Emel'janov B.A., Levando V.A., Kalinkin L.A. Klinicheskie posledstvija disbalansa mikrobnyh soobshhestv v organizme sportsmenov [Clinical consequences of microbial communities disbalance in athlete organism]. Vestnik sportivnoj nauki, 2010, no. 3, pp. 39–43 (in Russian).
- Zyjatdinov K.Sh., Ivanov A.V., Tafeeva E.A., Davletova N.H., Sabirzjanova G.E., Hajrullina L.M. Zdo-rovyj obraz zhizni kak faktor zashhity ot jekologicheskih riskov [Healthy way of life as the factor of protection from ecological risks]. Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk, 2009, vol. 11, no. 1–6, pp. 1211–1213 (in Russian).
- Kirillova N.P., Mogilev V.E., Mezencev V.V. Izuchenie adaptacionno-immunnyh parametrov u sportsme-nov s kozhnoj patologiej [Studying of adaptable and immune parameters of athletes with skin pathology]. Uchenye zapiski universiteta im. P.F. Lesgafta, 2012, no. 6, pp. 62–66 (in Russian).
- Zaborova V.A., Arzumanjan V.G., Artem'eva T.A., Butovchenko L.M., Gurevich K.G., Ivkina M.V. Metod ocenki mikrobiocenoza kozhi u sportsmenov [Method for evaluating skin microbiocenosis in athletes]. Kubanskij nauchnyj medicinskij vestnik, 2015, no. 2 (151), pp. 69–82 (in Russian).
- Zaborova V.A., Arzumanjan V.G., Artem'eva T.A., Gurevich K.G. Osobennosti stafilokokkovoj mikroflory kozhi u sportsmenov raznyh specializacij [Peculiarities of the skin staphylococcal microflora in athletes of different specializations]. Kurskij nauchno-prakticheskij vestnik «Chelovek i ego zdorov'e», 2015, no. 1, pp. 78–82 (in Russian).
- Popova T.V. Gigienicheskoe obsledovanie sportivnogo inventarja na soderzhanie obshhih i termotolerant-nyh koliformnyh bakterij [Hygienic survey of sports equipment for the maintenance of general and thermotolerant coliforms]. Mendeleevskie chtenija, 2015, pp. 100–101 (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po skoroj medicinskoj pomoshhi [Ambulance Guide]. In: S.F. Bagnenko, A.L. Vjortkina, A.G. Miroshnichenko, M.Sh. Hubutii ed. Moscow: GJeOTAR-Media, 2010, 816 p. (in Russian).
- Flegontova V.V., Ljapin V.P., Germanov V.T. Jetiologicheskaja diagnostika gnojno-vospalitel'nyh zabole-vanij u sportsmenov-borcov [Etiological diagnosis of chronic inflammatory diseases in athletes-wrestlers]. Pedago-gika, psihologija i mediko-biologicheskie problemy fizicheskogo vospitanija i sporta, 2004, no. 16, pp. 86–92 (in Russian).
- Anderson B.J. Effectiveness of body wipes as an adjunct to reducing skin infections in high school wrestlers. Clin J Sport Med, 2012, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 424–429. DOI: 10.1097/JSM.0b013e3182592439.
- Wilson E.K., Deweber K., Berry J.W., Wilckens J.H. Cutaneousinfectionsin wrestlers. Sports Health, 2013, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 423–437. DOI: 10.1177/1941738113481179.
- Estes K.R. Skin infections in high school wrestlers: a nurse practitioner's guide to diagnosis, treatment, and return to participation. J. Am. Assoc. Nurse. Pract., 2015, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 4–10. DOI: 10.1002/2327-6924.12136. Epub. 2014. Jun 9.
- Grosset-Janin A., Nicolas X., Saraux A. Sport andinfectiousrisk: a systematic review of the literature over 20 years. Med. Mal. Infect., 2012, vol. 42, no. 11. – pp. 533–544. DOI: 10.1016/j.medmal.2012.10.002. Epub 2012. Oct. 29. Review.
- Williams C., Wells J., Klein R., Sylvester T., Sunenshine R. Notes from the field: outbreak of skin lesions among high school wrestlers-Arizona, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 2015, vol. 64, no. 20, pp. 559–560.
- Ahmadinejad Z., Razaghi A., Noori A., Hashemi S.J., Asghari R., Ziaee V. Prevalence of fungalskin in-fectionsin Iranian wrestlers. Asian J Sports Med. – 2013, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 29–33. Epub. 2012. Sep 15.
- Shah N., Cain G., Naji O., Goff J. Skin infectionsinathletes: treating the patient, protecting the team. J. Fam. Pract., 2013, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 284–291.