History of “health risk” and its place in the development of preventive medicine
FSBSI “Research Institute of Occupational Medicine”, 31 Budennogo Prospect, Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
The main stages of the introduction and development of preventive medicine and the term HEALTH RISK are described. The “risk” definition is related to the works by Max Fasmer and Frank Knight. The development of preventive medicine was also influenced by the works of scientists and physicians of the ancient world and the Middle Ages. Particular attention is paid to the appearance, formation and development of the medical school of Salerno, and the impact of its work and the activities of scientists and teachers on further development of prevention and treatment. The relationship of these two concepts and their history is shown. The author dwells on the prevention development in Russia, paying particular attention to domestic researchers, especially after the victory of the Great October Revolution. Works by N.A. Semashko, Z.P. Soloviev, G.V. Khlopin, A.N. Sysin and F.G. Krotkov played a huge role in the development of preventive medicine in Russia and in the world. The article also represents the prevention medicine development facts in the post-war years – the creation of large schools of medicine, aimed at the prevention of diseases and epidemiological studies of the risk incurred. The article also pays attention to the foundation of International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), some areas of its work, especially in relation to research on the health risks. The itegration at mathematical modeling and forecasting with medicine in general and health in particular, as well as the study of the health concepts of risks at individual nosological examples are written.
- Alekseenko S.N., Drobot E.V. Profilaktika zabolevanij [Disease prevention]. Moscow: The Academy of Natural Sciences, 2015, 245 p. (in Russian).
- Arnol'd iz Villanovy. Salernskij kodeks zdorov'ja [Health Code of Salerno]. Moscow: Medicina, 1970, 112 p. (in Russian).
- Gloger Bruno. Imperator, bog i d'javol: Fridrih II Gogenshtaufen v istorii i skazanijah [Император, бог и дьявол: Фридрих II Гогенштауфен в истории и сказаниях]. Sankt-Peterburg: Evrazija, 2003, 288 p. (in Rus-sian).
- Metodicheskie rekomendacii po obrabotke i analizu dannyh, neobhodimyh dlja prinjatija reshenij v oblasti ohrany okruzhajushhej sredy i zdorov'ja naselenija [Guidelines for processing and analysis of data necessary for decision-making in environmental protection and public health]. Utverzhdeno MZ RF 27.02.2001 № 11-3/61-09. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200062733 (15.03.2016) (in Russian).
- Knight F.H. Risk, neopredeljonnost' i pribyl' [Risk, uncertainty and profit]. Moscow: Delo, 2003, 360 p. (in Russian).
- Sysin A.N. Zadachi i perspektivy sanitarnoj organizacii v nastojashhee vremja [Problems and prospects of health organizations at this time]. Gigiena i jepidemiologija, 1924, no. 5, pp. 1–7. (in Russian).
- Sysin A.N. Organizacija sanitarno-gigienicheskih meroprijatij vo vtoroj pjatiletke [Organization of sanita-ry-hygienic measures in the second five-year period]. Sovetskaja vrachebnaja gazeta, 1932, no. 13. (in Russian).
- Fasmer M.R. Jetimologicheskij slovar' russkogo jazyka. (Perevod s nemeckogo). V chetyrjoh tomah [Ety-mological dictionary of the Russian language. Translated from the German. In four volumes]. Moscow: Progres, 1964. (in Russian).
- Shigan E.N. Metody prognozirovanija i modelirovanija v social'no-gigienicheskih issledovanijah [The me-thods of forecasting and modeling in socio-sanitary research]. Moscow: Medicina, 1986, 208 p. (in Russian).
- Kantorowicz Ernst. Kaiser Friedrich II. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart, 1980, 145 p.
- Lutz W., Butz W., Samir K.C., Sanderson W., Scherbov S. Population growth: Peak probability. Science, 2014, vol. 346, Issue 6209, pp. 561.
- Rowland., Beryl. Exhuming Trotula, Sapiens Matrona of Salerno. Florilegium 1, 1979, pp. 42–57.
- Shigan E.N., Hughes D.J., Kitsul P.I. Systems Modeling in Health Care. Laxenburg, Austria: Internstional Institute for Applied System Analysis, 1979, 65 p.
- The Trotula: a medieval compendium of women's medicine. University of Pennsylvania, 2001, 342 p.
- Venediktov D.D. Modeling of health care systems. Laxenburg, Austria: International Institute for Ap-plied System Analysis, 1976, pp. 240–246.