Assessment of the external environment of oncologic in-patient department as the factor of risk for the development of infections in patients
О.V. Tonko, А.Yu. Loginova, N.D. Kolomiets
SEI “Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”, the Republic of Belarus, Minsk, 31, Minsky district, Lesnoy Township, 223040
We studied the frequency of non-standard swabs taken within the production microbiological control and under the epidemic indications at the oncologic in-patient department. The assessment of the impact of hospital environment factors on the infectious diseases formation is conducted. It was detected that the frequency of samples with potentially pathogenic and pathogenic micro flora under the epidemic indications exceeded by several times the share of non-standard samples during the investigation of the external environment objects. The highest frequency of non-standard samples within the production control was detected in the operating rooms and dressing rooms of the departments of surgery, and under the epidemic indications – in the anesthesiology and resuscitation as well as dressing rooms. The mitigation of risk of hospital infections due to the hospital hygiene improvement is the main element for increasing the safety of patients.
- Vnutribol'nichnye infekcii: Prevention and Control of Nosocomial Infections [Hospital-acquired infec-tions: Prevention and Control of Nosocomial Infections]. Edit by Richard. P. Vencel'. 2th ed., pererab. i dop.
Moscow, Medicina, 2004, 840 р.
- Sokolov A.A., Mitrohin S.D., Minaev V.I., Mahson A.N. Nozokomial'nye infekcii v onkologicheskoj klinike: sovremennoe sostojanie problem [Nosocomial infections in oncologic clinic: modern state of problem]. Rossijskij onkologicheskij zhurnal, 2007, no 1, рр. 29–37.
- Ocenka potencial'nogo riska vozniknovenija vnutribol'nichnyh infekcij i algoritm provedenija mikrobi-ologicheskogo monitoringa v uchrezhdenijah rodovspomozhenija [Assessment of potential risk of occurrence of hospital-acquired infections and algorithm for the conduction of microbiological monitoring at the labor induction institutions]. utv. M-vom zdravoohranenija Resp. Belarus' 24.12.2010. Tonko O.V., Kolomiec N.D., Hanenko O.N., Shmeleva N.D., Gojlova A.V., Fisenko E.G., Levshina N.N., Varivoda E.B., Bich A.I., Il'kevich N.G., Ljahovskaja I.A., Nikonovich E.I.: BelMAPO. Minsk, 2011, 37 р.
- Alvarado C.J. Revisiting the Spaulding classification scheme. Chemical Germicides in Healthcare. William A. Rutala ed. Washington, DC: APIC, 1994, рр. 203–208.
- CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC) / Guidelines for envi-ronmental infection control in health-care facilities: Recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Committee (HICPAC). Morbidity and Mortality: Weekly Report, 2006, vol. 52, no 10, рр. 1–42.
- Conly J.M. Physical plant design and engineering controls to reduce hospital-acquired infections. J.M. Conly, B.L. Johnston. Can. J. Infect. Dis. Med.Microbiol, 2006, vol. 17, no 3, рр. 151–153.
- Infections in the cancer patients. Diagnosis, prevention and treatment. S.C. Schimpff [et al.]. Principles and practice of Infectious Diseases. Churchill Livingstone. New York, 1995, рр. 2666–2675.
- Morrison J. Development of a resourse model for infection prevention and control programs in acute, long term, and home care setting. Conference proceedings of the Infection Prevention and Control Alliance. Am. J. Infect. Control, 2004, vol. 32, рр. 2–6.