Health risk of pupils formed by classrooms’ air pollution
A.N. Gankin, T.D. Gritsenko, S.M. Sokolov, T.N. Pronina
State institution “Republican Scientific Practical Center of Hygiene”, 8, Akademicheskaya St., Minsk, 220012, Republic of Belarus
The results of health risk assessment of pupils performed on the basis of the classrooms’ diffusion air sampling in the establishments of the general education and measurements of the pollutants’ concentrations in the air in real time are presented. It was found that classrooms’ air pollution is characterized by multicomponent and significant variability. The ajor contribution to the value of total cancer risk in the classrooms’ air is made by formaldehyde. The total cancer risk by inhalation routes of benzene, ethylbenzene and formaldehyde administration is higher in the classrooms air compared with ambient air. Hazard index ranges from 1.0 and below under chronic inhalation of classrooms’ air contaminants. Combined exposure to chemicals polluting the classrooms’ air environment, in concentrations not exceeding the established limits, creates an increased risk of respiratory diseases (hazard index value is to 1.4). Diffusion air sampling allows to provide an assessment of classrooms’ air quality, to be the basis for risk assessment, plan and evaluate the effectiveness of “targeted” preventive measures.
- Instrumenty dlya monitoringa vypolneniya obyazatel'stv Parmskoi konferentsii: otchet o soveshchanii
25–26 noyabrya 2010 g., Bonn, Germaniya [Tools for monitoring of adherence to the Parma Conference:
report of the meeting on 25–26 November 2010, Bonn, Germany]. World Health Organization. Kopengagen, 2011. 37 p.
- Metody monitoringa kachestva vozdukha v shkol'nykh pomeshcheniyakh: otchet o soveshchanii 4–5 apre-lya 2011, Bonn, Germaniya [Methods for monitoring of air quality in schools: report of the meeting on 4–5 April 2011, Bonn, Germany]. World Health Organization. Kopengagen, 2011. 30 p.
- Otsenka issledovanii po izucheniyu dlitel'nogo vozdeistviya zagryazneniya vozdukha na razvitie khronicheskikh boleznei: otchet o soveshchanii Rabochei gruppy [Evaluation of studies on the long-term effects of air pollution on the development of chronic diseases: report of the Working Group]. World Health Organization. Bonn, 2002. 254 p.
- Poddubnyi V.A., Yushketova N.A. Metod passivnogo otbora prob dlya izmerenii dioksida azota v atmos-fernom vozdukhe [Passive sampling method for the measurement of nitrogen dioxide in the air]. Optika atmosfery i okeana, 2013, no. 9, pp. 759–765.
- Pol'ka N.S., Lyashenko V.I., Dzhurinskaya S.N., Shkarban E.S. Khimicheskoe zagryaznenie vozdukha pomeshchenii detskikh uchrezhdenii [Chemical contamination of indoor air of childcare institutions]. Gigiena nase-lenikh mists', 2010, no. 56, pp. 278–281.
- Yushketova N.A., Poddubnyi V.A. Metod passivnogo otbora prob dlya monitoringa khimicheskogo za-gryazneniya atmosfernogo vozdukha. Chast' 2. Prakticheskie aspekty (obzor) [Passive sampling method for monitoring chemical air pollution. Part 2. Practical aspects (review) ]. Ekologicheskie sistemy i pribory, 2007, no. 3, pp. 15–23.
- Critical Appraisal of the Setting and Implementation of Indoor Exposure Limits in the EU: summary on recommendations and management options. JRC/IHCP/PCE, Ispra, Italy, 2004, p. 27.
- Sarigiannis D.A., Karakitsios S.P., Gotti A., Liakos I.L., Katsoyiannis A. Exposure to major volatile or-ganic compounds and carbonyls in European indoor environment and associated health risk. Environmental Inter-national, 2011, vol. 37 (4), pp. 743–765.
- Fiore A.M., Naik V., Spracklen D.V., Steiner A., Unger N., Prather M., Bergmann D., Cameron-Smith P.J., Cionni I., Collins W.J. Global air quality and climate. Chemical Society reviews, 2012, Vol. 41, pp. 6663–6683.
- Kampa, M., Castanas, E. Human health effects of air pollution. Environmental Pollution, 2008, vol. 151 (2), pp. 362–367.